Thursday, April 27, 2006

Coupla updates

OOS (Operation Opie Sleep): We had some bad nights, which had me hustling the boy back yet again to the doctor's office for an ear check (I think it would be simpler at this point to issue me my own otoscope, no?) . Ears were clear; gums were being punctured by some ouchy molars (I diagnosed that on my own). One of my favorite kids' songs:

Here come my teeth from the north and the south
Here come my teeth--what's these things in my mouth?
Here come my teeth, so slow and so cruel
All of my t-shirts are covered in drool.
--Brady Rymer, Here Come My Teeth

But the past two nights he's slept from 7ish to 4:30ish. And unlike his sister (awake at 5 for good, for several months straight), he'll nurse at that time and go back to sleep for another two hours.

Tube-a-licious: He is, in fact, sleeping right now after having his ear tubes placed this morning. He wasn't allowed any food/milk/water after midnight, so I couldn't feed him when he woke up at 4:08 a.m. Therefore he did not go back to sleep. At the hospital they gave him some Versed (sp?) to calm him down and get him sleepy. It worked for about 45 minutes; he was very drowsy and pretty much high. Every once in a while he'd just gaze at me and give me a huge, drunken smile. But eventually the goods wore off and he was very unhappy. The procedure itself was very short and it sounds like it was worth it; the doctor said he removed, and I quote, "a lot of bad stuff from back there." (Insert Osama bin Laden joke here.) Opie was totally spooked after he woke up from the anesthesia but fell asleep in the car on the way home and has been out cold ever since.

Lunchmeat: We have eaten it twice a day, every day, since Sunday (Jeff is brown-bagging for the first time since he was 8 years old). I gave a bunch to my friend/neighbor who just had a baby. We had a family of three over for sandwiches last night. We're still. not. done. I may start gobbling or oinking very, very soon.

1 comment:

mothergoosemouse said...

I'm glad that the tubes went as smoothly as they did. Here's hoping you see the payoff right away (in the form of extra hours of sleep).

I remember your weekday morning stories of dozing on the sofa while Jo played, after starting her day at 5am.