Thursday, March 27, 2008

Recorded for posterity

Okay, lest you get the wrong idea that I am particularly holy or brave, I will mention that on Easter Sunday, I spent an unseemly amount of time snickering when Jo, while attempting to read a menu, innocently asked what a "happy hour" was. Only she said "happy whore."

This reading and writing thing is delighting me daily. It has taken forever to get to this point. I was not previously aware that reading is a milestone akin to potty training, or sleeping through the night. It takes way longer than you think it will, progress comes in the tiniest of increments (and waxes and wanes daily), various experts are always ready with a quick-fix solution whether or not you need it, and you might feel compelled to exaggerate your child's progress.

Yesterday Jo was busily writing one of her random letters to no one. I reminded her that we promised to send Tacy a postcard. Without missing a beat she took another piece of paper, neatly wrote NOT NOW, and continued with what she was doing.

The postcard was worth the wait, though. She composed it tonight.

Dere Tasee
We liket your latdr we are sating a noow latdr becos you ask for
a now won
Love Jo
form Wiskosisn

9 comments:

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Happy whore...you just got my Friday off to a hilarious start! Snort!!!!

Love her postcard. That is so cute.

Oh, Miss C is still not reading chapter books dammit unlike some of her peers apparently. What's WRONG with her?!? ;)

Heather said...

That's too funny.

It's so cool to see them learning to sound out words on their own. My daughter is at this stage too!

Kimberly said...

That's very cool and exciting! I don't want to wish their wee years away, but I am very excited for the days when they are writing and we can read chapter books together.

Julie Pippert said...

Fabulous postcard!

Alex Elliot said...

What a great postcard! I like that she put she's from WI.

Magpie said...

So great. Next time, pretty please, scan it in?

justmylife said...

Happy Whore! I love kids, they are so cute at that age. Then they get older,UGH. Thanks for sharing the postcard.

Lady M said...

Awesome. Q pretends to write me notes all the time now. I get these pieces of paper with little squiggles on them.

Julie Marsh said...

Those damn happy whores are everywhere, plying us with half-price well drinks.

I'm going to have to ask Tacy's teacher if we can keep those postcards and letters. Jo's is priceless.