Sunday, April 12, 2009

Easter morning bedhead

If you're looking for charming Easter pictures of my shiny-haired children (and why would you be unless you are my mother), move along. They both had the rattiest, sticky-uppiest, messiest cases of bedhead this morning. Jo's was reasonably decent by the time we went to church, but Opie's ... forget it.

It actually reminded me of the day of my grandmother's funeral. My brother was in the middle of one of his months-long bike trips and for whatever reason had decided not to cut his hair or shave his beard until he completed the trip. Just try to picture the result of the combination of bike helmet, sweat, and longer and longer hair, day in and day out. Trying to whip him into shape for the funeral, my sister and I each took a huge handful of hair gel and attacked the wiry mop on top of his head. It worked about as well as my attempt to flatten Opie's locks this morning.

And it's still cold here. Which inspired a haiku.

Breath visible on
sunny Easter morn -- want a
nice cool Eggsicle?

"Spring" break ahoy this week (finally). In a few days we're off to visit my brother, who these days has hair so short that hair product is entirely unnecessary.

7 comments:

Lady M said...

Happy Easter! Hey, it looks like at least Opie was dressed, which is better than I can say for any of us this morning.

Leslie said...

There's no haircode for early-a.m. egg-hunting, right? Because there's a reason I didn't appear in any Easter morning photos. We tried to have an egg hunt for grownups despite the rain and cold, and my sister swore the eggs were frozen and passed on the eggsicle.

Binkytowne said...

absolutely. you get bonus points for not having kids in pjs, but actual cute clothes. Happy late Easter! I hope it's warmer at the brothers house..

Heather said...

Spring break just ended for us, back to the usual routine now.

And Easter was fairly warm for us this year. 58 is downright balmy for Easter in MN lately. Maybe you have that weather today...

Kate said...

My kids have bedhead every single morning. For CJ, before he leaves for school, I have to wet it down. It's literally all over the place every morning! And I'm so sick of cold. Please give me a 70 degree day!

Happy spring break!

the mama bird diaries said...

Easter is always too cold. Hope you had a good one, bedhead and all!

Julie Marsh said...

They're so cute. Happy Easter!