We won't be leaving for my brother's place for a few days, but yesterday Opie packed a bag. Stuffed it, actually: "So I'll have choices, Mommy." Here is what he wants to bring:
- 2 pairs shorts (how optimistic)
- 1 pair pants (also optimistic, given the limited success of potty training thus far)
- 3 short-sleeved shirts
- 2 long-sleeved shirt (it goes without saying that none of the above articles of clothing actually match each other)
- 1 pair football pants (from Halloween costume)
- 1 football jersey (from thrift shop)
- 1 Superfriends coloring book
- 1 rubber dog-nose mask
- 2 pairs faux pilot goggles (a spare is important)
- 1 string Mardi Gras beads (turquoise)
- 1 6-inch-long piece of grosgrain ribbon (striped)
I guess I'll be packing the socks and underwear in my luggage.
Like Mrs. Chicken, I feel strange posting something frivolous today. I've been unable to write about Maddie (and now Thalon) in part because a silly, petty feeling weighs on me--that every mention of them is a tacit, although certainly unintended, exclusion of so many others: other babies who have been lost (yes, including my own), other families suffering other tragedies, too numerous or too unknown to mention. None of it is fair, none of it. But all I can do is enjoy the children I have.