Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Wanderlust-ful

New mama Julie (not to be confused with Other New Mama Julie, or Word-Using Mama Julie, or do I have any other bloggy friends named Julie?) tagged me for a Top-5 meme. I am to tell you 5 things about myself, and then list 5 places in the world I'd like to see (or see again).

I've already revealed many miscellaneous things about myself so I'll just make up my own rules. Here are 5 random things I have been wondering lately:

1. How I manage to entirely fill the dining room table with crap every day between the hours of 8 a.m. and 2 p.m., only to have to clear it off completely by 2:45. Right now: 4 piles of work papers; 1 cloth napkin; 1 binder clip; dirty lunch dishes; a bottle of tea; the phone; a ruler I found on the floor; a photo that fell off the refrigerator; two invitations to events I don't intend to attend; the recipes from last night's soup swap; my planner book. And the laptop.

2. If there are any "virtue" names for boys. I encountered a family recently with children named Hope, Grace, and Christian; the mother mentioned that the last one would've been Faith if he'd been a girl. Ever since I have been racking my brain trying to come up with alternative boy names. This is neither an attempt to name a child I'm not having nor a need to make some kind of point about the virtuousness of girls vs. boys. I'm just cat-killin' curious.

3. Why, if you invite me (see #1) to a fundraiser to be held at your home, you don't offer some kind of hint as to who on earth you are and how you know me or got my name.

4. Whether it's far too late to get a babysitter for this weekend, or to get my roots done before my next trip to New York.

5. If winter will ever. Ever, ever. Ever, ever end. (Forecasted for Mayberry for the next 5 days: Snow, clouds, snow, snow, clouds.)

Now, for part two! Oh, the places I'd go. Here are my top picks from the list we compiled last fall (fairly high on the conventional/cheese factor, but too bad; and I also cheated and added some that weren't on the list).
  • Hawaii
  • Spain
  • Turkey
  • Iceland
  • Patagonia

Oh, and here's another list of 5: The soups I now have chillin' in my freezer. How's that for meme miscellany?

  • Vegetable with meatballs
  • Chicken chili
  • Curried butternut squash
  • Wild rice
  • Potato-leek

Care to play? Join me in the comments or on your own blog.

12 comments:

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I don't suppose you have that recipe for vegetable meatball soup, do you? I'd love to try that.

I'm going to try your cannelini soup later this week!

Girlplustwo said...

Buster?

nope, no ideas. Sorry.

wait. Simon? As in keep it simple?

nope. sorry.

Maybe just Jesus.

Magpie said...

Jesus. And Israel.

(Two peope, father and son, who work in my office.)

Julie Feinstein said...

You are awesome! The invites with no intention of follow-through cracked me up. I met my husband at a party I *almost* didn't attend, four years ago. (Long story!)

I'll travel with you to those places -- are they infant friendly? Ha!

What what what is a soup swap??? Do tell. Does it mean that other people cook soup for me? Must do this.

Okay, virtue names for boys... I like this challenge. Though I live in California, so my tolerance for what constitutes a name is higher than for folks in other parts of the country, I imagine.

How about Prince? I know, the celeb connotations kinda throw that one off. We do have boys named Sky and Tree around here, for the naturalist-virtuist.

I seem to recall that there's a girl named "generosity" in one of my mom-baby classes -- now that's really stretching it, dontcha think?

motherbumper said...

Can I borrow your freezer contents. Mine just has ice.

Anonymous said...

There are probably no "virtue" names for boys because traditionalists don't hold males to the same kind of "walk the thin line" standards that girls are kept imprisoned by. One nutty fruitcake of a gal I graduated high school with named her son Courage. No, I'm not kidding. And one of the daugher's names was Liberty. Just like Gerald Ford's dog. The other three were the ones you mentioned, but I'm so freaked that all these names together in this comment might make it more Google-able for someone from my high school. And I don't need that.

Angela said...

It reminds me of the movie,"Hope and Glory", the four daughters had those three names, plus Charity, the joke in the movie was that they were named for the virtues lacking in their father, too funny!

mamatulip said...

I'm coming over to raid your freezer. Everything in mine is so freezerburned I can't tell what it is.

Jennifer said...

Well Christian was the name of a boy in my 1st grade class...

Also, thank you for the soup ideas...I'll go finish my grocery list now.

the mama bird diaries said...

I like all the crap on your dining room table.

Sounds like my kitchen counter.

I hate clutter. But it always comes back to find me.

Anonymous said...

I used to know three sisters named Faith, Hope, and Charity. Sorry, no boys names spring to mind.

As an unrelated sidebar, I used to know three siblings named Rivers (boy), Fields (girl) and Stream (boy). Nothing virtuos, though :)

Anonymous said...

The name thing is actually something that my husband and I have wrestled with. My daughters names are the Spanish words for happiness and peace, but before we knew we were having another girl, we didn't know what we would name a boy. Granted, it's Spanish, but we would have named our son either Fidel (faithful) or Amistad (friendship). Neither are particularly good names in English, and Fidel has a lot of political baggage, but there you go.