Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The Boy on the Carousel

I fell in love with my husband because I knew he would be good father. We were not even dating at the time. In fact, I was dating his roommate.

Yes, that's right, I dated my husband's roommate. And it was a terrible relationship that should never have lasted the year and half that it did. But it brought me to Doug, and that was worth it.

I fell in love with Doug on a carousel. A big group of friends went to the local amusement park. We went on the carousel, and there was a small boy sitting on a horse that was next to Doug's. I have no idea where this child's parent was, but he ended up talking to Doug. The boy was having a hard time because the carousel wasn't starting, and Doug entertained him by showing him how to say "giddy up horsy" and hit the horse with the reins. And Doug did that until the carousel started and throughout the ride.

I fell in love with Doug in that moment. We had become very good friends while I was dating his roommate, and somehow ended up near each other on the carousel. And I knew that he would be an amazing Dad, and I wanted him to be the father of my children. But, because I'm an idiot, even after this, I kept dating the roommate, which was ridiculous.

But, 10 years later, he is the amazing father that I imagined on that long ago carousel ride. Very involved, and so in love with his little boy that he writes open letters to him. He leaves work every day at 5:00 pm just to spend an hour with Michael before he goes to bed. And sometimes then works late into the night to make up for that, but he refuses to not see his son before bedtime every night. When Michael was first born, Doug took two weeks off of work, and helped me with night feedings, and literally has been involved with Michael's care from day one. He celebrates every one of Michael's successes, big and small, and cries when he is hurt, sick, or sad.

I'd like to go back and find that little boy on the carousel and thank him. Because if it wasn't for him, I never would have noticed the amazing father that Doug would become.

This post is part of The Blog Exchange. Jodi is mom to a 2 year old, a part-time lawyer, and wife. She blogs at Jodifur about all these things and many more. Please visit her site, and you will see Mayberry's post. And thanks to Mayberry for being such a great hostess!

10 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

Jodi-
This is a wonderful tribute to your husband. I enjoy his open letter site so much. It's fun to read about his experiences with Michael.
And isn't it so fitting that you met on a carousel ride? That I think is a perfect metaphor for marriage in itself! Enjoy the "merry go round" Jodi!
Beautiful ride.

Anonymous said...

Fate can be so good to us sometimes!

Anonymous said...

awww how wonderful and romantic! Awesome that he is the man he is!

soccer mom in denial said...

Well that puts the earlier carousel photo in perspective - doesn't it?

Now I'M in love with Doug. And bravo for writing about your child's dad!

Anonymous said...

This post was so sweet. It brought tears to my eyes!

Ambassador said...

Jodi, I bet even if you hadn't seen Doug that way on the carousel that day, you would have had another opportunity and another until it sunk in. Life's like that sometimes - wonderful post! Ken

Alex Elliot said...

Hey I dated my husband's roommate too! Your husband sounds like a wonderful father.

Unknown said...

sniff sniff. :)

Lara said...

sadly, i remember one of the moments when i began to question my engagement (now ended) was seeing the lack of interest my then-fiance had with small children. i'm so glad you found that man who would be a wonderful father to your children. i'm happily awaiting that moment. :)

Anonymous said...

I didn't date my husband's roommate, but rather his best friend, who, oddly enough, is still our friend. What a fun story about the carousel.