Tuesday, October 02, 2007

High School Musical is a gateway drug

I should have known. I should have known! She started watching HSM when Jeff brought a DVD home from work. We thought it was cute that she liked the big kids singing and dancing (she also likes Singin' in the Rain). It seemed harmless enough and she even caught on to some of the lessons about peer pressure and why it isn't nice to act like Sharpay does.

Fast-forward to last month, when HSM2 came out ... and one or the other of those movies, or some portion thereof, is showing daily in my living room. Patois warned me to pull the plug, but did I listen? Of course not. As long as the daily intake didn't exceed recommended allowances, I let her keep watching, figuring the appeal would wear off eventually. (Hey, it worked for Maisy.)

So. All you parents of older kids can guess what happened. While I was out of town last week, those wily geniuses at Disney sunk their hooks ever deeper into my child. And now? She wants to watch this. And this.

Oh dear God.

P.S. We do not have the creepy bedding with the creepy Zac Efron pillow. In fact, the only merch we have so far is the DVD that started it all. So at least there's that.

Cross-posted at The Full Mommy.

16 comments:

Suzanne said...

Oy. Times like these, I'm glad our cable provider doesn't send us the Disney channel.

Julie Marsh said...

Your loss is my gain. I knew there was a good reason why I held out against the HSM pressure.

Then again, we've got the whole "Bobby" obsession, so I suppose I have no room to talk.

Magpie said...

Yikes.

Though my child is obsessed with JACK SPARROW (which she shrieks when he comes on screen). Should I worry that it's a gateway to something else?

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Some how we have avoided the HSM craze. We are still knee deep in Barbie and Disney Princess. Miss C did, however, in a hormonal fit declare her Waverly paper dolls green and pink comforter ugly over the weekend and told me she wanted a Disney Princess "bed."

Sigh...

Anonymous said...

This is exactly why we don't watch Baby Einstein ;op

GHD said...

Gateway drug, indeed. I'm going to have nightmares about that creepy Zac Efron pillow tonight...

Lawyer Mama said...

OMG!!! Thanks for the warning. That damn Disney Corporation! They start with Little Einsteins & the next thing you know they're hooked on Zach & Cody. Do they have a support group for parents or something?

mamatulip said...

The title of this post made me snort.

(That pillow is CREEPY.)

Suz said...

Thank goodness that the only thing we watch on the Disney channel is the Wiggles...for now.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. The only saving grace over here is that Mommy is cheap and we don't have the good cable so Hannah Montana has to be a special treat at Grandma's house.

It could be worse, I suppose. With the Paris, Britney, Lindsey trio out there, the squeaky clean HSM crowd does have *some* charm.

That pillow is gonna give me nightmares, though.

Anonymous said...

Hailey watches the Suite Life. Eh. It's better than Spongebob.

Scribbit said...

Oh my daughter has been a HUGE HSM fan and had me sit with her to watch it this weekend. I'd never seen it and thought, "Okay, this means alot to her, how bad can it be?" I had no idea. And I didn't even watch through to the end ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Life was so much simpler when we were little. I'd say that maybe my child will take after me in that I never much went in for merch, even of the good old Sesame Street variety, but sadly, he'll probably be influenced by my husband's insatiable desire to collect toys. On the plus side, if the kid ever gets into the Simpsons, we already have the whole town boxed up in the basement -- all he has to do is say the d'oh! and we'll move it into his room.

Lady M said...

While SwingDaddy is out of town this week, I'll try to catch HSM 2 on TV. Shouldn't be that hard to find it, right?

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! where can i buy those bedsheets, and that pillow is FABULOUS! i don't know what your all moaning about- it's a fab movie. HSM 4eva!!!! oh and by the way, don't expect the disney craze to pass over quickly cos i'm 16 and me and all my friends love it to peices!! ZAC EFRON IS A TOTAL GOD!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ok.so even if you don't like the movie doesn't give you the right to trash it.i am sorry but i am a huge HSM fan and i think it is a great movie if you don't like don't watch it don't talk about it then you wont have to worry about it.if ur child likes it then let them at least it is not like those other movies they are making now with bad laungage,adults having sex,and any other crap kids are able to get on t.v and watch it.high school musical sets a great example and you are offending lots of other people by posting something like that.