Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My new summer cocktail

The one thing about enduring the neverending winter around here is that when summer comes, it's goooood. Clear, sunny, warm but not too hot, very rarely humid. So we just want to be outside and celebrate every minute.

At book club the other night my friend Theresa introduced me to what's going to become my signature summer drink. We were sitting outside at a waterfront restaurant which got me in the mood to order a gin and tonic. But Theresa showed me the light: the gin press. Ahh! Lighter, sweeter, and très refreshing.

Then, just to prove what a good friend she is, when I appealed to her the next day after I couldn't find a recipe online, she found me a video of a cute bartender doing a demo. The trick is that the drink is more commonly made with vodka.

Cheers!

Edited to remove embedded video -- sorry, that was annoying the way it played automatically.

6 comments:

Julie Marsh said...

Mmmmm...vodka.

Must stop nursing.

Tree said...

My new drink of choice is a mojito, which is very similar! Love club soda.

the mama bird diaries said...

i love a refreshing summer cocktail. actually, i love anything that has to do with summer.

Anonymous said...

I love a woman who blogs about cocktails. You'll have to check out my weekly 5:00 Fridays post. http://www.dirtandnoise.com/2008/06/500-fridays_26.html

And here's where Mama Bird and I differ...I love anything that has to do with cocktails!

Lady M said...

This year, summer is making me think of making popsicles. Gin popsicles?

Kimberly said...

I'm so trying that! It sounds perfect for summer.

Thanks for the book order, by the way. It's shipping out tomorrow. Hope you like it.